Puff Pastry Strawberry Basil Champagne Pop Tarts
For Puff Pastry
- 360 ml ice cold water, plus extra for rolling
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 560 gm all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 464 gm butter, chilled but slightly pliable
For Pop Tarts
- 100 gm puff pastry
- 30 gm strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-teaspoon sugar
- Mix the salt and the water together and stir to dissolve the salt.
- On a clean working surface make a well using the flour.
- Now add the water to the well. And slowly start incorporating the flour and water.
- Knead till it comes together and form into a ball and place covered in a refrigerator.
- Using a big enough parchment paper lay out the butter, now whack and pack the butter to form it into a 8X8 inch square.**
- Pop it back into the fridge to firm up.**
- Remove the dough from the fridge and starting at the top press it down rolling it out. Repeat on all 4 sides. **
- Place the butter brick on the central mound
- Using the petals / flaps cover the butter and you’ll be back to square.**
- Using a rolling pin flatten the square and gently rolling it into a rectangle.**
- Brush off the excess flour. Brush the entire surface with cold water. Fold the top 1/3 of the dough towards the middle and the bottom 1/3 like enclosing a letter. Dot the top with one finger. This is your first "turn". **
- Spin the dough clockwise to the right and begin the rolling process again. Roll it into a rectangle like before. Fold the top 1/3 of the dough then the bottom. Using your fingers make 2 dots onto the top right. You’ve completed your second "turn".
- Do at least 6 turns and upto 8 turns. Placing it in the fridge between each turn for the butter to firm up.
- Leave in refrigerator over night.
- In the AM remove the puff pastry and cut into portions.**
- Roll the puff pastry into a rectangle and cut into 12X9 cm rectangles.
- Lay the rectangles next to each other and place strawberry jam on top of one rectangle and using the next rectangle cover the tart.
- Using a fork press down on the edges.
- Brush the top of the pop tart with milk and sugar mix and place into oven at 175 degree till its nice and golden on the outside.