Japanese Pancake with Strawberry Basil Champagne Jam
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2-teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4-cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 90gm refined flour / flour of choice
- 1-teaspoon baking powder
- Add the egg whites, lemon juice, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk them till they have achieved soft peaks.
- Add 5 tablespoons of the sugar and beat till the egg whites become nice and glossy and you have achieved stiff peaks. A fun way to check is you take the bowl over your head and turn it upside down and if it doesn’t fall on your head, voila you’re done!
- Add the egg yolks and sugar and vanilla extract and immediately start whisking till its pale and smooth. The sugar will end up somewhat cooking the yolk so it’s important to start whisking as soon as you put them together.
- With the milk at room temperature, and the melted butter slightly cooled, mix them together and add to the egg yolk mix. Whisk to combine. *
- Mix the flour and baking powder.
- Temper the egg yolk mix with the egg whites, by adding the a scoop at first, folding that in and carefully folding in the rest without deflating the mix. You aren’t a DJ so be careful not to over mix.
- Grease the nonstick pan or skillet. Butter the insides of your pastry rings. Put them onto the nonstick and allow them to warm.
- Fill the pastry rings till hallway leaving space to rise.
- Sprinkle water onto the pan and cover with the lid.
- Let it cook for 5-7 mins without fiddling with it. Yes, do not fiddle. No fiddling. Once it has risen and bubbles have formed on the top, flip them over using a thin spatula by sliding it under the pastry ring. *
- Put the lid back on and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove the rings.
- Serve warm with Spreadit’s Strawberry Basil Champagne Spread, maple syrup, and fruit.
Great recipe. Had thoroughly enjoyed this culinary delight. 💕